New Business Start-ups

When starting a business, there are a number of resources available to assist you in starting a business along with a number of requirements that must be met.



BizPal is a partnership between the federal, provincial and municipal governments to assist you with finding the permits and licenses that you may require when starting or operating your business.

  Square One - Saskatchewan's Business Resource Centre

This organization provides free information to Saskatchewan entrepreneurs to help them start or grow their business.

  Tax Incentives


  Name Search and/or Corporation Registration

All businesses will need to complete a name search and registration unless you use your own name for the business. You can also incorporate your business through this method. Incorporating your business allows you to create a separate legal entity for the business and a clear distinction between you and the business.

  Vendor's License (PST Number)

All businesses in Saskatchewan are required to register with Saskatchewan Finance. If your business does not collect PST, you will be required to apply for a consumer permit. The same application form is to be completed regardless of whether you apply for a vendor's license or a consumer permit, and there is no charge for either.

  Municipal Business License
All businesses, with the exception of non-profit organizations, require a business license in order to operate within the City of Prince Albert.

  Goods and Services Tax (GST)

Businesses with gross annual revenues of greater than $30,000 must apply for a GST account. (Registration is optional if a business's revenues are under $30,000.) To apply, you will need a business number. This link will take you to an application for a business number, and that form can also used to open a Goods and Service Tax account, a payroll account and an import/export account,.

  Workers' Compensation Board
If your business will hire employees, they will need to be insured through the Workers' Compensation Board. This protects the employers and workers from injuries that occur at work and prevent blaming from either party.

  Development Permits
 A Development Permit is required for developments which include the construction of a new building, an addition to an existing building or a change of use of a building or site.

  Building Permits
If you are building, renovating, adding to, demolishing or changing the use of a building, you need a permit.



When applying for a new gas line installation, SaskEnergy is the main contact.


Builders and developers will want to contact SaskPower for their electrical, gas permits and residential hook-ups.


SaskTel is Saskatchewan's telecommunications company and offers services for wireless, television, internet, home phone and security.

Planning and Development Services
City of Prince Albert
1084 Central Avenue
Prince Albert, SK
S6V 7P3

Phone:  306.953.4370
Fax:  306.953.4380